Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I Do Not Miss TV, What's With That?


A little over a month ago, my husband and I gave up television. We actually had even basic cable turned off except for our internet. I was sure it would be painful and found that it was not at all! I did want to catch up on episodes of Glee from the internet though so I went to the Fox website and sure enough the episodes I have missed were just sitting there for me to watch. The experience was not what I expected.
I used to just sit here on the couch in front of the TV and watch a show all the way through and I probably did not move other than to flip channels with the remote or to fast forward through the commercials. I found it very hard to sit through one show now. I did enjoy the episode of Glee I watched but I so wanted to get up and move around. Since it is a music show, I had on a headset so I would get the benefit of the stereo sound. I actually felt trapped. This was not nearly as much fun as I remembered TV watching to be.
Have I morphed into some kind of hyperactive creature that cannot sit still? I think I have. Normally I only sit still to read but I can put the book down when I get restless and move around to do other things and then pick it right back up anytime. Not so with a TV show it seems. It seems strange to have changed such an ingrained habit I have had all of my life in just a few short weeks. I guess now I enjoy other things so much better. Now I have more time to do other things I used to think I did not have time for. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. We did this years ago and I still do not miss TV. Although we do have Netflix and enjoy watching a few series together as a family. (Stargate, 24, & Merlin) I also let the kids watch some shows on Netflix but they are not addicted to TV the way the general population is. For them, watching a show is something they do after they finish their schoolwork and chores each day. As the weather gets nicer, we will be spending more time outdoors anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that we watch wayyy too much TV. Most evenings my husband and I watch after dinner. I could not give up having it for our workouts!

    ReplyDelete